I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) that da is a short casual form of desu. But what does it mean in this phrase? or why it is used?

Tabeta bakari da.

It doesn't mean anything else. Here, too, "da" is a short casual form of desu. What exactly is your question? – Earthliŋ Apr 20 '16 at 14:07
    tabeta is to eat , bakari is "just" or something, so what meaning adds "da" to the sentence? is a verbal tense or something? – Pablo Apr 20 '16 at 14:10
  1. [食]{た}べたばかりだ。(Tabeta bakari da)
    I have just eaten.

2. 食べたばかりなの?(Tabeta bakari nano?)
    Have you just eaten?

3. 食べたばかりではない。(Tabeta bakari dewa nai)
    I have not just eaten.

There is a writing style named 論文調 that is for an essay in Japanese, and the end of sentence is 'da/dearu' meaning the assertion. It seems that any examples of the language textbooks use this style usually. That is a mechanical style at the opposite end of the polite style of expressions such a honorific language, and it is a kind of literary style.

Does "it means 1" mean 「食べたばかり means 食べたばかりだ」? – Chocolate Apr 20 '16 at 16:41
    Where did you get 食べたばかり (without だ) from? It's not in the question. I don't quite understand how this answers the question "why do we need da in bakari da?". – Earthliŋ Apr 20 '16 at 19:59
  • I think that だ is required because it is a predicate. However, in the case of ばかり+だ, it is often omitted in spoken language. Whenever the word at the end of a sentence is not a predicate, I almost think that is abbreviated. There is a style called 体言止め as an exception tho. そう思った私。 – nariuji Apr 22 '16 at 15:40
  • @nariuji I think you should add what you said in your comment to your answer, since it's relevant to the question. – Earthliŋ Apr 23 '16 at 20:17

ばかり【bakari】 is a 副助詞 (adverbial particle), which is derived from the 連用形 (-masu stem) of the verb はかる. But the particle (and 連用形 in general) behaves much like a noun. (Join to other noun-like words with の, make into a predicate by adding だ, etc.)

Now you essentially have a noun phrase 食べたばかり. To make a sentence out of this, you have to add だ・です (or だった・でした in the past tense).

This is the same as in

本だ。
hon da.
[This] is [a] book.

@Pablo Taberu doesn't behave like a noun. I think you may have misunderstood the answer. – snailcar Apr 22 '16 at 1:22
    @Pablo taberu is a verb, did you mean to ask about bakari? bakari does behave like a noun. This is true for many -masu stems of verbs. Sometimes the -masu stem would be best thought of as a particular conjugation of a verb (still "flexible"), but sometimes the -masu stem has "hardened" into a noun, e.g. 受付 = 受け付け (= -masu stem of the verb 受け付ける). There shouldn't be a "list of exceptions"; as far as I can tell it is a general feature of Japanese. (I don't have any examples where the -masu stem of taberu, which would be tabe, behaves like a noun, though.) – Earthliŋ Apr 22 '16 at 6:45
    ^ I can only think of 三角食べ 😋 – Chocolate Apr 22 '16 at 9:33
    @nariuji そうですか。「食べたばかりよ」とよく聞くと思いますが。 – Earthliŋ May 1 '16 at 8:38
    @nariuji 「『食べたばかり』のほうが『食べたばかりだ』よりも自然なのか」というのは、もともとの質問「なぜ『食べたばかりだ』で『だ』を使うか・使えるか」とはまた別だと思います。 – Earthliŋ May 1 '16 at 10:14

As you said, “だ” is a colloquial form of “です,” a predicate meaning “is, am,” and "食べたばかりだ” means “I’ve finished meal just now.”

“だ” here functions as I am in the state of having finished meal just now.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.