http://www.shiro.jp.net/2013/10/tono-deno-kakrano-madenoeno-learning.html

This page explains that a noun with と, で, から, まで that modifies another noun must have の attached to them as in:

日本での研究はいかがでしたか。

But it lists this example

大学院医学の研究をするつもりです。

Both with で. what is the difference between them? Are there other rules about の and と, で, から, まで, etc?

The difference is that での shows the relationship to a following noun, just as the page says. 日本での研究 forms a single noun phrase ("research in Japan"), and this noun phrase as a whole is marked as a topic with は.

In the other example, 大学院で isn't part of a noun phrase. Instead, it modifies the following predicate, (医学の研究を)する ("do medical research").

So it's just as the web page says. If you see ~での, you should be figuring out what noun it links to (研究), and if you see ~で, you should be figuring out what verb (or other predicate) it links to (する).

In English, "in ~", "from ~" and so on modifies something both adverbially and adjectivally. In Japanese, you have to distinguish. Since more and more questions are being marked as a duplicate of this one, I'll add some examples to illustrate when you need の with と/で/から/まで.

• 昨日彼と話した。
    I talked with him.
  • 彼との話し合いは昨日行われた。
    The meeting with him was held yesterday.
  • 日本で生活している。
    I live in Japan.
  • 日本での生活は楽しい。
    Life in Japan is fun.
  • カナダから手紙が来た。
    A letter came from Canada.
  • カナダからの手紙を読んだ。
    I read a letter from Canada.
  • 朝まで待ちます。
    I'll wait until the morning.
  • 朝までの時間を過ごす場所を探そう。
    Let's find a place to spend the time until the morning.

And more complicated examples:

• 先生から手紙を読めと言われた。
    I was told by my teacher to read the letter (from someone else).
    (先生から modifies 言われた.)
  • 先生からの手紙を読めと言われた。
    I was told (by someone else) to read the letter from my teacher.
    (先生からの modifies 手紙.)
  • 神戸で大阪から東京への切符を買った。
    I bought in Kobe a ticket from Osaka to Tokyo.
    (~から~へ and ~から~まで is a set phrase and only one の is necessary)
  • 彼とのインドへの旅行は楽しかった。
    The trip to India with him was fun.
    (Two の are necessary)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.