I'm learning how to write hiragana, katakana and kanji.

What is the name of paper that has little squares to write the Japanese characters?

  • 2
    I'm not sure if this question is on-topic, but do you mean 原稿用紙?
    – naruto
    Apr 15, 2016 at 15:40
  • 1
    Something like this? happylilac.net/sy-ntka.html You can find more -> google.co.jp/…
    – chocolate
    Apr 15, 2016 at 15:41
  • 1
    You also might want to look up 漢字ドリル.
    – kuchitsu
    Apr 15, 2016 at 16:29
  • 2
    I rarely need it, but usually 漢字練習帳 finds what I'm looking for. I don't know of a specific word though.
    – Pleiades
    Sep 16, 2016 at 12:11
  • I already found !! Tanks for all! Sep 20, 2016 at 16:50

1 Answer 1


This kind of paper is called 原稿用紙, used in composition class or by professional writers, but for practical writing rather than training (generally too small for training).

enter image description here

The format below is dedicated to kanji training (but also good for kana). While it doesn't have fixed name, notebooks that bind these sheets are sold in the name of 漢字練習帳.

enter image description here

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .