I was reading up on the use of conditionals と, ば, たら and なら. One part of the source talks about one type of conditional clause, but I am not sure of its meaning.

Here's what the source says, and my attempt at translation:

仮定条件(前件が仮に成立した場合、その前件を条件として後件が成立することを表わす)

Assumptive conditional clauses (the first half of the sentence (conditional clause) is based on an assumption; expresses the first half as a requirement for the establishment of the other half)

The word として is confusing me. There have been other questions about として, but reading the sentence above with an "as" or a "by way of" does not make sense to me. Easy sentences are okay, like:

彼は医者として有名だ。He is famous as a doctor.

(医者として有名 = Famous as doctor)

However, how do I parse this more complicated sentence?

{[その前件を 条件として後件が] 成立すること} を 表わす

条件として後件 = The latter as the requirement?

Why doesn't "as" make sense here? It makes perfect sense. If I have something like 「xになれば・・後件」 then the 前件 here is the conditional. It basically means the former is used as a condition, and the latter part is the result. – strawberry jam Apr 13 '16 at 15:40
  • @strawberry jam but where does the word "result" come in? I only see 前件, 条件, 後件. What's more, the last two terms are jammed between 前件 and 成立すること, which I can't wrap my head around... – rhyaeris Apr 13 '16 at 15:46
  • 後件 means "consequent" – strawberry jam Apr 13 '16 at 15:52
  • darn, i always thought 前件 and 後件 were former and latter... so 条件として後件 means the consequent as the condition...? – rhyaeris Apr 13 '16 at 15:56
  • will think about it and post my findings at a later time. – rhyaeris Apr 13 '16 at 16:08

For example, the sentence "If I were a doctor, I would cure his sickness."

"If I were a doctor" is a hypothesis(前件), "I would cure his sickness" is a consequent(後件).

その前件を条件として、後件が成立する means " The hypothesis (come into effect) as a condition(条件), and the consequent come into effect."

• Thank you, the " 、" was helpful. I was trying to fit the 前件を with 成立する. "A を B とする/として" is something new to me. Perhaps 彼が医者として有名だ is 彼を医者として有名だ? Reference: japanesetest4you.com/flashcard/… – rhyaeris Apr 13 '16 at 16:57
  • 彼を医者として有名だ is unnatural because を有名だ is unnatural.but 彼を医者として尊敬している is natural because を尊敬している is natural. – Yuuichi Tam Apr 13 '16 at 17:14
  • hmm... from your reply, I gather that 前件を does link with 成立する (the hypothesis comes into effect as 条件), but 後件が also links with 成立する (the consequent comes into effect) – rhyaeris Apr 13 '16 at 17:27
  • I just add "comes into effect" to "the hypothesis" to be understood easily. – Yuuichi Tam Apr 13 '16 at 18:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.