I checked in google translate but I wanted to be sure. Is 思う pronounced as "omou" or "omoo"? Usually when there is a お (or こ、ど etc), followed by a う, the う is pronounced as お, but I was not sure if that was the case with verbs as well.

It is "omou" not "omoo" at least I've actually heard it pronounced this way.

• In 1 word "oo" or "ou" both are long "o".
  • In two words put together, you have to know how they are pronounced seperatly and it doesn't really change. If you have a verb ending in ou then the final u will be "u" not "o".

When I have doubts about the pronunciation of a word I rather use this site because Google is not too reliable ...

• Thanks! That's what I thought. Thanks for the useful site too! – Felipe Müller Apr 11 '16 at 21:59

思う is pronounced "omou" with a distinct "u" sound rather than a long "o" because there is a morpheme barrier between the "o" and the "u."

• thanks! I don't know what is a morpheme barrier though – Felipe Müller Apr 11 '16 at 22:34
  • @FelipeMüller Syllable boundary. – oals Apr 12 '16 at 7:53
    @oals That's not what it is. If you don't know what a morpheme is, you can always look it up on Wikipedia, but it would be easier to put into context with some experience in linguistics. – Kurausukun Apr 12 '16 at 8:58
  • isn't there always a syllable boundary between う and anything else, since う is a syllable? (or is it?) – Felipe Müller Apr 12 '16 at 14:57
  • "Morpheme boundary" here refers to the way that the う on the end belongs to a different grammatical portion of the word -- this う is the verb ending, and it changes when the verb conjugates. The う in そう (as in そうです) or in ふつう (as in 普通) does not change at all, and is part of the same grammatical functional unit as the preceding mora -- so the う takes on the phonetic value of the preceding mora: becoming /o/ in そう, and staying as /u/ in 普{ふ}通{つう}. Similarly, the final い in -しい adjectives (like うつくしい or ほしい or まぶしい) is morphemically separate, and is thus spelled separate in romaji. – Eiríkr Útlendi Apr 12 '16 at 16:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.