English translations for the name あこ (Ako) seem tough to find, and are unsourced, so I don't know what to believe. Some say cute, others child, even wife!

あこ as a Japanese girl name, can be displayed in a lot of different Kanji characters, depending on what the parents choose (They're all pronounced the same as AKO).

For examples:

亜子、亜來、亜古、亜呼、亜心、亜湖、

亜琥、亜瑚、亜胡、亜香、亜恋

吾子ーー>(These two characters meaning "my child")

和心----> (could mean "harmonious heart")

For those above beginning with Kanji "亜", which means someone or something comes in the 2nd place, or sometimes it could be a transliteration of "Asia" (derived from the first vowel of the English world "Asia"), I'd suggest you look up the other Kanji following 亜 individually.

The online dictionary, URL as below: http://nihongo.monash.edu/cgi-bin/wwwjdic?1C

The most used word that sounds 'あこ' is '吾子,' which is a very oldish expression meaning "my child" that appears pretty often in old anthologies like 万葉集.

When you input 'ako' in MS Word, you get '亜子,' '阿子,' '阿古,' and '阿児' as a conversion. '亜子' is a pretty familiar name of women. But I don't know what the last two words mean, and if they make sense.

アコ in katakana is often used as a nick name for 敦子, 厚子, 亜津子, 亜紀子, 明子, アキ子 and etc.

和田アキ子, one of the most popular and long-life female pop singer is loved by the nick name of アッコ.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.