I assume it's some slang that comes from ゴリラ perhaps. I found many examples of it being used in completely different situations and now I'm very confused... Apparently there is even a small book about its meaning, haha.

It seems that the author of ゴリってる会話集 doesn't know the meaning of ゴリる. He just used it as a meaningless word which just sounds odd.

西川氏: ほとんど意味不明ですが、何となくストーリーはわかるのが不思議ですね。
おっさん: そうやがな。そこが面白いんや。はっきり言うて、「ゴリってる」の意味などさっぱりわからん。しかし、文脈によってその意味は何となくわかるんや。その不思議な言葉を駆使して、ストーリーが展開していくんや。

So this book only proves that ゴリる is not an established word :-)

That said, ゴリる is a possible word made up from ゴリラ using this rule. It would mean "be like a gorilla", "do something like a gorilla", etc. You may find ゴリる in rhythm game contexts because ゴリラ is slang for an incredibly skillful player.

Someone might use it as short for ごり押しする or ゴリゴリしている, too.

So ゴリってる = gorilling? :) "It's a gorilling story!" That kinda works, since it almost sounds like thrilling -- and it's also nonsense in English, much like that author's use of ゴリる. – Eiríkr Útlendi Apr 8 '16 at 21:18
  • Exactly, it's gorilling! – naruto Apr 9 '16 at 2:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.