I am starting a cooking blog which is named Cooking Tale. I wanted a person to translate the name and he said クッキング・テール is ok. But when I search for this name in dictionaries, it says "tail" not "tale". Is this a correct use?

Cooking Tale - クッキング・テール

How about 「[物語]{ものがたり}」 for "tale"... e.g. 『冬物語』(The Winter's Tale), 『二都物語』(A Tale of Two Cities), 『カンタベリー物語』(The Canterbury Tales), or maybe (a bit childlike)「お[話]{はなし}」e.g. 『ピーターラビットのおはなし』(The Tale of Peter Rabbit) – Chocolate Apr 7 '16 at 15:29
  • Not recommended. 99% of Japanese with some knowledge in English would misunderstand the title as "cooking tail". Again, 99% of Japanese cannot distinguish between "tale" and "story" so I'd recommend クッキングストーリー. It moderately sounds 外人ish – nodakai Apr 8 '16 at 15:11

The literal translation is 料理の話. I think クッキング will get through to Japanese people but テール as the word "tale" may not get through to them. As you found in your search, I think a lot of Japanese people may think テール is the word "しっぽ(tail)", or may not know テール.

I think テイル be considered. Here are some Japanese transliterations that use that to transliterate tale:

That said it seems both are in use. Wikipedia lists both フェアリーテール and フェアリーテイル as used to transliterate fairy tail and fairy tale.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.