What does dewa mean here?

ブラウンさん、日本語では、トイレはお手洗いと同じ意味ですよ

I haven't really studied it yet and thought it was kind of a negative used like janai, but here it means-

Brown-san, in Japanese, toilet has the same meaning as bathroom.

Or is it using the de and wa particles separately or something? I think just using wa would have worked?

It's the use of the particle で + particle は, as you suggest.

で in this case marks the mean/tool...

は is a particle that marks the topic of the sentence and that can be added to other particles like this (as a general rule, don't take this for granted 100% of the time):

• It absorbs が and を.

私は学生だ。 私 is both the topic and the subject of the sentence.

これは昨日買ったんだ。 これ is both the topic and the direct object of the sentence.

• It either absorbs or is added to the particle に.

庭(に)は犬がいる。

• It's added to other case particles.

日本では箸で食べる。

Therefore:

Brown-san, in Japanese, トイレ has the same meaning as お手洗い.

"In Japanese" being the topic, the hearer's attention is put on the rest of the sentence which is the new information.

Missed opportunity for 庭には二羽の鶏がいる. .: womp womp :. – istrasci Apr 6 '16 at 19:39
    @istrasci: 庭{にわ}には二羽{にわ}に鰐{わに}はにやにや俄{にわ}かに噛{か}みつけた。 (^^) – Eiríkr Útlendi Apr 6 '16 at 23:36
  • But would the sentence in question still make sense if we omitted で? – kuchitsu Apr 6 '16 at 23:53
  • @kuchitsu In that sentence, still makes sense but has a quite different meaning. – broccoli forest Apr 7 '16 at 2:37
  • Can you please explain how exactly it would be different or recommend something I can read on the topic? – kuchitsu Apr 7 '16 at 18:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.