How does one say:

Knowing that I hurt you (your feelings) is breaking my heart.

"Breaking my heart" I think I know:


but the first part and how to connect the two I'm clueless about.

3 Answers 3


あなたを傷つけたと知って、胸が張り裂けそうです。 How about this one?


I think the sentence "Knowing that I hurt you " can be translated as あなたを傷つけたと知る.

I translate your sentence as あなたを傷つけたと知り、私の胸は張り裂けそうだ.

  • 1
    I believe 'hurt' in the sentence is in the past tense.
    – oals
    Commented Apr 6, 2016 at 14:01
  • Really? If so, I must change this sentence to past form but how do we distinguish their? Commented Apr 6, 2016 at 14:33
  • The verb is irregular, with all three tenses spelt the same, but parsing it as a present tense does not IMO make sense in this sentence. I'd phrase the non-past forms of 'to hurt' as that I am hurting you (present) or that I keep hurting you (present, repeated) or that I will hurt you (future).
    – oals
    Commented Apr 6, 2016 at 14:47

I'll give a shot at my own translation for this:


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .