So, I have this:

犬を追いかけられています。

Is it correct? And what does that に particle mean?

• Could you tell us what you want to say in English?
    – chocolate
    Apr 1, 2016 at 8:22
  • So, in this case the sentence was translated as: the dog is being chased by my father. But I was confused because of the に particle which shows the passive form. Apr 1, 2016 at 8:32
  • "the dog is being chased by my father." would be「犬が父に追いかけられています。」
    – chocolate
    Apr 1, 2016 at 8:35

2 Answers 2

EDIT: I have had a misunderstanding as reported by chocolate in the comments, so I have corrected myself.

The に particle here shows the agent (the one who does the action). 犬を追いかける is "to run after a dog".

So 「父犬を追いかけられています。」 is "The dog is run after by my father."

• So, in this case に shows that the father orders someone (the person omitted) to run after the dog. In the case I want to say "father is chasing after the dog", do I have to use は particle? P.s.: thank you very much for the answer! Apr 1, 2016 at 8:18
    "私 has to run after the dog because his/her father told him/her so" -> それだと「父に犬を追いかけさせられています。」になりますよね・・
    – chocolate
    Apr 1, 2016 at 8:19
  • @BeatriceJitariu "In the case I want to say 'father is chasing after the dog'." >> "Father is chasing the dog" is 「父が犬を追いかけています。」(active voice). The passive voice would be "The dog is being chased by Father"「犬が父に追いかけられています。」
    – chocolate
    Apr 1, 2016 at 8:32
  • Doesn't that mean that the dog is being given higher precedence than the father? I thought you would have to say "Father ran after the dog" in Japanese because otherwise you are making a dog more important than a human. Apr 1, 2016 at 8:35
  • @user3856370 Yes, here the dog is more important than the father. That's the role of the passive voice: to change the focus. At least, that's how I view it. Apr 1, 2016 at 8:38

I think 父が犬に追いかけられています is correct.

In the case of 父に犬を追いかけられています, if I must say, it means 'My dog gets chased by my father.'

に is a postpositional particle for an object.

For example:

父に犬を[呼]{よ}んでもらいます。
I have my father call a dog.

• Oh, finally I got it. So with particle に: the dog-object which suffers and subject, (my)father-agent. And with が: father-subject and agent, dog- object which suffers. Thank you. Apr 1, 2016 at 8:26

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .