So, I have this:

犬を追いかけられています。

Is it correct? And what does that に particle mean?

• Could you tell us what you want to say in English? – Chocolate Apr 1 '16 at 8:22
  • So, in this case the sentence was translated as: the dog is being chased by my father. But I was confused because of the に particle which shows the passive form. – Beatrice Jitariu Apr 1 '16 at 8:32
  • "the dog is being chased by my father." would be「犬が父に追いかけられています。」 – Chocolate Apr 1 '16 at 8:35

EDIT: I have had a misunderstanding as reported by chocolate in the comments, so I have corrected myself.

The に particle here shows the agent (the one who does the action). 犬を追いかける is "to run after a dog".

So 「父犬を追いかけられています。」 is "The dog is run after by my father."

• So, in this case に shows that the father orders someone (the person omitted) to run after the dog. In the case I want to say "father is chasing after the dog", do I have to use は particle? P.s.: thank you very much for the answer! – Beatrice Jitariu Apr 1 '16 at 8:18
    "私 has to run after the dog because his/her father told him/her so" -> それだと「父に犬を追いかけさせられています。」になりますよね・・ – Chocolate Apr 1 '16 at 8:19
  • @BeatriceJitariu "In the case I want to say 'father is chasing after the dog'." >> "Father is chasing the dog" is 「父が犬を追いかけています。」(active voice). The passive voice would be "The dog is being chased by Father"「犬が父に追いかけられています。」 – Chocolate Apr 1 '16 at 8:32
  • Doesn't that mean that the dog is being given higher precedence than the father? I thought you would have to say "Father ran after the dog" in Japanese because otherwise you are making a dog more important than a human. – user3856370 Apr 1 '16 at 8:35
  • @user3856370 Yes, here the dog is more important than the father. That's the role of the passive voice: to change the focus. At least, that's how I view it. – 永劫回帰 Apr 1 '16 at 8:38

I think 父が犬に追いかけられています is correct.

In the case of 父に犬を追いかけられています, if I must say, it means 'My dog gets chased by my father.'

に is a postpositional particle for an object.

For example:

父に犬を[呼]{よ}んでもらいます。
I have my father call a dog.

• Oh, finally I got it. So with particle に: the dog-object which suffers and subject, (my)father-agent. And with が: father-subject and agent, dog- object which suffers. Thank you. – Beatrice Jitariu Apr 1 '16 at 8:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.