I have the following sentence, extracted from a textbook,

こちらからお願いに伺うべきところを先方{せんぽう}からお出{い}でいただき、恐縮した。

This sentence feels a bit overly polite which does not help me. I think that こちら is the one who speaks (it could be a legal entity but since the verb is お出でいただく I assume that it is an actual person), 先方 is the one who did the favor to the subject here omitted.

So I understand “お願いに伺うべきところを” as “at a time where you should have asked me a favor”. 先方 seems to means someone else in one's in-group (内).

If I understood correctly, here, the speaker explains that he/she feels sorry for not having been the person to come while he/she feels strongly he/she should have been asked.

Is this interpretation correct or did I fumbled my way around with 先方 and お出でいただく?

先方…相手の方/相手/あちら 当方…自分の方/自分/こちら。お出でになる…来る (or 行く)  社長が私の家にお出でになる(The president comes to my house.) /社長が海外旅行にお出でになる(The president goes on a trip overseas.) – nariuji Apr 1 '16 at 10:23

「こちらからお願いに伺うべきところを」 means "Even though I was (originally) the one who should go (to them) to ask them a favor." (≂「私のほうからお願いに行くべきなのに」)

「先方からお出でいただき」 means "They came to me." (≂ 「相手に(私のところへ)来てもらって / 相手のほうから(私のところへ)来てくれて」)

先方 is the person (or people) that こちら(= 私, the speaker) should have visited and asked a favor of. (先方 isn't someone in こちら's in-group.)

おいでいただく is the humble form of 来てもらう (lit. "I have them come (to me).").

So I think the sentence means something like...

Even though I/we should have visited them to ask them (something), they came to me/us instead, so I/we felt very sorry/obliged.

• Thank you very much. It has been quite a long time since I first wondered what this sentence meant and I was still quite far from the intended meaning. – 永劫回帰 Apr 1 '16 at 11:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.