I am making a Japanese verb conjugation app and can not seem to find the Japanese equivalent of "Progressive Form"

For example

辞書形 = dictionary form
命令形 = imperative form
可能形 = potential form


what is "progressive form" in japanese? What term is used by Japanese textbooks?


1 Answer 1


The Japanese term to refer to English progressive form (eg "I am sailing") is 進行形(しんこうけい). Every middle school students knows this term (they learn it in English classes).

By the way, I doubt there is a special 進行形 conjugation in Japanese. This concept is expressed in Japanese by simply using a subsidiary verb いる, preceded by て or で, preceded by so-called "te-form" of a verb. The "te-form" is known as one of the 連用形 to Japanese students who learn Japanese grammar at middle school.

  • im familiar with how the progressive form is conjugated, I am still adding it for completeness
    – Koden
    Mar 31, 2016 at 1:39
  • Fine, now I understand what you're trying to do, so it's a lot easier to help :-)
    – naruto
    Mar 31, 2016 at 1:50

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .