I've noticed some dictionaries give two different results for the polite form of the conditional form, I'll use the verb 戦う for example.

I am familiar with 戦いませば but not with 戦いますれば.

Some dictionaries give just one, others give both.

Is there a difference in these two in anyway?

Are both frequently used?

Are both frequently used? >> No, not in modern Japanese. They sound archaic. We'd rather use 戦いましたら – Chocolate Mar 30 '16 at 5:13
  • Koden, are you an advanced learner who is dealing with classic/archaic Japanese? If not, I'm sure you have mistyped or misread something. – naruto Mar 30 '16 at 6:22
  • these are the polite present form conditional conjugations that some dictionaries give いませば is very common – Koden Mar 30 '16 at 6:39
    Koden, what dictionaries are you using? – Eiríkr Útlendi Mar 30 '16 at 6:44
  • いませば is the most common form of the polite present conditional conjugation in all of the dictionaries I check but I actually found the answer after looking for several hours so this question should be deleted or closed – Koden Mar 30 '16 at 8:08

Neither is common. In fact, 戦いませば and 戦いますれば are almost never used in modern Japanese. You have to use 戦いましたら.

• I sometimes hear stereotyped samurai in samurai dramas say 戦いますれば. It's indeed "if (someone) fights" said in a polite way. It's "stereotyped samurai-ish speech", but I don't know whether old people actually talked like this. People never use it today except as a joke.
  • いませば is occasionally found in archaic Japanese documents, Bible translations, hymn books, and so on. But actually it's 在【いま】す followed by ば.
  • 戦いませば, ございませば, ありませば, etc. should be extremely rare, and I would say it's nearly wrong (but apparently a few people seem to use ございませば...). If used, it would leave a very literary, archaic, and/or odd impression.
  • when I said "common" I didnt mean common in speech or usage, I meant dictionaries will show that conjugation frequently – Koden Mar 31 '16 at 0:43
  • Okay, ます seems to be the 仮定形 of ます (according to this). I personally don't remember seeing this except in clearly 文語調/武士言葉 documents, but one answer here in this question says ~ますれば was not too rare until 30 years ago. – naruto Mar 31 '16 at 1:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.