This question already has an answer here:

Sorry if this question have already been asked but I did some research and didn't find anything about this.

So I just started to learn some kanji and I decided to look around at names with kanji just to see what it's like. So I went and researched some names from a game and I came across this:

星熊 勇儀

And the name is supposed to be read like this:

ほしぐま ゆうぎ

I just don't understand why the kanji 熊 is “くま” but is read “ぐま”.

Thanks for any information you have!

marked as duplicate by istrasci, Dono, Eiríkr Útlendi, snailboat Mar 29 '16 at 21:37

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

• Nimuki, definitely read the post that istrasci linked to. The phonetic rules for compounds often dictate that the second element becomes voiced: /k/ become /g/, /s/ becomes /z/, /t/ becomes /d/, etc. This is called 連濁{れんだく}, literally "linked muddiness", as in "the sound becomes muddy (= less distinct = voiced) when terms are linked together". – Eiríkr Útlendi Mar 29 '16 at 21:18
    Thanks guys ill be sure to read that,i didnt know that there was such a rule :) – Nimuki Mar 29 '16 at 21:26

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.