There are 2 girls who had a fight and are mad at each other.
One of them asks the protagonist if he is gonna fight against the other girl and he anwswers:

「あいつが邪魔をするなら戦う。
……まあ、ホントは聖杯なんて物騒なもんはあいつに任せたいんだけどな。
あいつならキチンと鞘に収められるし、桜を助けてくれるだろうし」

The the girl:

「……そう、でしょうか。
あの人は、魔術師です。
わたしみたいに弱い人間のコトなんて、考えてくれないと思います」

Looking online I found this:

元の鞘に納まる:一度別れた男女が、いろいろあった末に結局はもとの仲に戻る(復縁する)ことを言います。

I understand that it means something like get together, but it talks about man and women.

So, could this expression mean something like:

Make up, Make peace with each other

Even if it has no sexual meaning?

Alternatively it's talking about obtaining the 聖杯.

Another definition is:

鞘に収めた:強い働きかけを止める様子 Stopping a strong influence

I am not sure since 働きかけ seems to have multiple meanings. Looking it up I found this one:

人に対してその物事について考えるよう促すこと
Urging people to think about the circumstances
(Might be wrong how I understood it)

Or does it mean another thing completely?

You may already have found that but 鞘{さや} is scabbard and here 収める means “to sheathe”. So the meaning of the expression seems to be “to sheathe back one's sword” or in other word “to settle a fight”. – 永劫回帰 Mar 29 '16 at 16:00
  • Makes sense. Could you also help me understand "人に対してその物事について考えるよう促すこと"? I am not sure about に対して and ついて – Splikie Mar 29 '16 at 16:05
  • Maybe be “The fact of urging somebody about thinking about how it seen/felt from others'point of view” (the translation is lame so if it does not help you tell me I will try to do better. について is about as usual and に対して is “from 人's point of view”) – 永劫回帰 Mar 29 '16 at 16:11
  • に対して and その物事 are the problem. I tought に対して=Towards, Regarding. その物事 = What does その refers to?. My understanding was that it means "Urging towards people so that they will think about their circumstances". I did not know に対して could mean from the POV of X. Could you tell me to what その refers to? Thank you – Splikie Mar 29 '16 at 16:19
  • ^ Above translation is clearly lame. その物事 is just something like “that fact”. A sligtly better gloss would be “The fact of urging sb to think about what this thing/fact means to (other) people” – 永劫回帰 Mar 29 '16 at 16:26

Two phrases are different in meaning.

鞘に収める
…([抜]{ぬ}いた[刀]{かたな}を)鞘に収める

Drawing a real sword means a commencement of battle. The term of this phrase originates here. This is a thing about spirituality.

元の鞘に納まる
…([別]{べつ}の鞘に[入]{はい}っていた刀が)元の鞘に納まる

All sheaths are somewhat different. One sword can be put back in only its sheath. This is a thing about shape.

Incidentally, the opposite meaning of 「元の鞘に納まる」 is 「[反]{そ}りが[合]{あ}わない」.

反り is the curve of a sword. It shows that a sword can not be put back in the sheath for the difference of shape. There are many proverbs about sword in Japanese.

| improve this answer | |
  • Could you help me with 人に対してその物事について考えるよう促すこと – Splikie Mar 29 '16 at 16:36
  • Because 鞘に収める has a meaning of self-control. – nariuji Mar 29 '16 at 16:48
  • In the case of this 働きかけ, I think it has a meaning of the action for self-requests. – nariuji Mar 29 '16 at 18:09

The original expression 元の鞘に納まる is an allusion to a drawn sword going back into its sheath and is used, in its strict sense, to describe lovers getting back together after a bitter fight or breakup.

I think the writer may be using the idiom somewhat loosely to mean something to the effect of: to put everything back into its right place; to bring a situation to a harmonious conclusion.

Or, truer to the image its words evoke, it can be about settling of a fight, which in this case would be the 聖杯戦争. (Tip of my hat to 変幻出没-san. I didn't realize this until I saw his/her comment.)

Regarding

鞘に収めた:強い働きかけを止める様子 Stopping a strong influence ,

no, there's no such definition for 鞘に収める, I don't think.

(働きかけ is a nominalized form of 働きかける: to work on someone; to exert influence/pressure over someone.)

| improve this answer | |
  • Could you help me with 人に対してその物事について考えるよう促すこと – Splikie Mar 29 '16 at 16:28
  • 人(a person) に対して(against/over←marks the patient of the action 促す) その物事について(about the matter) 考えるように促す(urge (someone) to think) こと(nominalizer) : to urge a person to think about the matter – goldbrick Mar 29 '16 at 16:40
  • So what does it mean? Is my translation correct? "Urging people to think about the circumstances" – Splikie Mar 29 '16 at 16:42
    It means: to urge a person to think about the matter. I guess yeah, yours is just fine. – goldbrick Mar 29 '16 at 16:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.