Is there a difference in meaning between 「何時間寝ますか」 and 「何時に寝ますか」 ?

I know that 「何時に寝ますか。」means "What time do you sleep?" But what about 「何時間寝ますか。」?

何時間 is a question about a length of time.

何時 is a question about a point in time.

「何時に寝ますか」is indeed 'when do you go to bed?'. 「何時間寝ますか」 (or perhaps a bit more naturally 「何時間眠りますか」) is instead 'how long do you sleep for?'.

(寝る is 'go to bed', 'decide to sleep' rather than just 'sleep'; 眠る is 'fall asleep' or 'be asleep'.)

Time counter words with 間 in them I think universally refer to periods of time, such as 何週間 '(for) how many weeks'; though not all period-of-time counters use 間 (such as 何ヶ月 '(for) how many months').

| improve this answer | |
    +1, but 寝る can also mean sleep, so 何時間寝ますか is not unnatural at all. (eg. よく寝た! = I slept well!) – naruto Mar 28 '16 at 3:07
    ^ I agree, we actually say 昨日は8時間寝た。 more commonly than 昨日は8時間眠った。 in normal/daily conversation. – Chocolate Mar 28 '16 at 5:22
  • そっか。覚えた!(^ ^) – Sjiveru Mar 28 '16 at 21:52
  • (I wonder if I jump to 眠る since, as someone with insomnia, 寝る時間(つまり横になってる時間)は時に実際に眠る時間(意識を失ってる時間)とかなりの差がある(´・ω・`) – Sjiveru Mar 28 '16 at 22:14
  • 睡眠 is also commonly used when talking about actual sleeping time: 睡眠時間 – Amani Kilumanga Mar 29 '16 at 3:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.