Are そういう and そんな completely interchangeable? Is there any difference in nuance or meaning, or contexts where one is more appropriate than the other?

Most of the time they are interchangeable because their meanings are almost identical. The only notable difference is that in cases where the speaker is expressing negative feelings and wants to emphasize them, 「そんな」 is more appropriate, because it is more emphatic than 「そういう」. For example:

「そんなダメな人は気にしないで!」

「そんなことはない!」

In those sentences, if you replaced そんな with そういう, they would be less emphatic. Of course, sometimes this might not be true because you can make them sound aggressive purely through intonation, however, it wouldn't "ring" the same.

| improve this answer | |
  • 「そんなことはなかなかやんな!」って、どういう意味でしょうか・・・ – Chocolate Mar 26 '16 at 12:34
  • @chocolate ^ I assumed it meant "it's such an unpleasant thing. ". What's wrong with this sentence? – user3856370 Mar 26 '16 at 13:44
  • @chocolate やんなー>やるな. A friend of mine said that sentence once(he is from Japan). It doesn't mean much without context, I guess. – strawberry jam Mar 26 '16 at 14:21
    「やるな」=「するな」= "Don't do~" ってことですか?「あんまりやるな」とは言いますが、「なかなか[やるな]{LHL}」とは言わないですね...「なかなか[やるな]{LHH}!」と言うと、「なかなか(よく)やるね」「なかなかやるじゃないか!」You do pretty good! って、褒めてるみたいになります・・・ – Chocolate Mar 26 '16 at 14:47
  • @chocolate I see. Thank you for teaching the differences. I will edit. – strawberry jam Mar 26 '16 at 15:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.