In Real casual japanese one may hear

明日のテストってこわ。。。

I am wondering, how often this level of 'casualness' happens.

Can I add sentence ending particles, even though there is an い omitted (and です). For example:

ゆきは走るのがはやね。

I omitted the whole structure, but still added ね to emphasize, that Yuki runs fust, doesn't he?

However this is pretty standard, for a plain form, am I right?

おもしろいね

If a similar question has been answered somewhere, please link it for me, and also I'm not sure if my question is phrased correctly, I hope it's understandable.

• What's happening is a softening of the final い, as a kind of contraction. Depending on the term, final particles can appear after such contractions: 分からんぞ, for instance. In casual speech, the final vowel may also change (technically called "monophthongization", as the "diphthong" or two-vowel sound fuses into a single-vowel sound): はやい may sound like hayee, すごい may sound like sugee, おもしろい may sound like omoshiree. – Eiríkr Útlendi Mar 24 '16 at 16:56
  • See user4092's answer below for a better explanation of い-deletion in interjectionary uses, as opposed to monophthongization. – Eiríkr Útlendi Mar 24 '16 at 20:07

ゆきは走るのがはやね is impossible.

Those stand alone stems of i-adjective are not so much a casual form as a kind of interjection you use when you are surprised and it doesn't allow any grammatical elements to follow. In addition, it's different from collapse of diphthongs.

| improve this answer | |

There are several patterns for adjectives in casual speech:

One is that the end of the adjective changes to an "e" vowel, like おもしれー, はえー, おせー, こえー, いてー.

One is that the end of the adjective changes to an "i" vowel, like さみー,あちー,ねみー, かいー.

One is that the end of the adjective is omitted, like さむっ, あつっ, くさっ.

Some particles like な, よ, か can be added to them (except for in the omitted ones), like おもしれーな, ねみーよ, さみーか but ね isn't usually added to them.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.