From Haruki Murakami's preface to Yume de Aimashō:

ときどき「糸井さんと村上さんとでたしか『夢で会いましょう』という対談集出してられますね」と言われることがあるけれど、それは明らかなマチガイです。

I'm guessing that it parses as to de tashika, right? If so, questions:

1. What's the function of de here?
  2. What about tashika ? Is this its meaning as "I'm pretty sure", "I suppose"?
  3. Is dashiteraremasu better understood as present (the book is out) or future (the book is coming)? How can I tell?
    I think it should be an error of 出しておられます. – broccoli facemask - cloth Mar 24 '16 at 0:56
    It's not so much an error as vowel deletion. – user4092 Mar 24 '16 at 5:03
  1. The で is definition #5 in デジタル大辞泉:

「5 動作・作用の行われる状態を表す。『みんなで研究する』『笑顔であいさつする』」 (indicates how an action is performed. "study together with everyone" "greet with a smile").

So 「糸井さんと村上さんとで」 is literally like "with Itoi-san and Murakami-san together", and 「糸井さんと村上さんとで・・・出してられる」 is saying "Itoi-san and Murakami-san published together / collaborated / co-authored (a book)" (≂「糸井さんと村上さんと(が)一緒に出版しておられる).

1. I think the たしか here means "if I remember correctly" or "if I am not mistaken."

2. The 出してられます is more like the perfect tense, "have published". (The full form is 出しておられます. The お sometimes gets dropped in speech.) 出しておられます is an honorific form of 出しています. 「~ています / ~ている」 can be used for a completed action or an action performed sometime in the past, e.g:

(もう)始まっています -- have (already) started
(もう)終わっています -- have (already) finished
(まだ)卒業していません -- have not graduated (yet)
彼は(すでに)殺されている。-- He has (already) been murdered.
(以前/前に/かつて)(一度)お会いしています -- have met (before) (once)

How can I tell?

It would be easier if there was a word or phrase like 「もう」「すでに」「かつて」「以前」「前に」「一度」「二度」「去年」「5年前」 etc., but if not, I think the only way to tell would be to deduce from the context...

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.