What does 'タメを作る' mean?

What exactly is being 'made/created'?

What is a 'タメ'(as I understand, is being used as a noun here)?

I see the phrase frequently being used in the context of sport, such as

'スイング中タメを作る方法' (how to create a タメ during your swing?) or

'タメを作るエクササイズ' (exercises for creating a タメ?)

is this phrase strictly a sports term or is it also used in non sports contexts?

I found a post on japanese yahoo answers where a person asks the exact same question in the context of soccer.(http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1353818073) The OP thinks it means '味方の上がりを待つこと?', and people are saying that's mostly correct. However this leaves me even more confused. 'Waiting for your allies to advance'? I'm perplexed.

It's the noun form of 溜める.
    – user4092
    Mar 22, 2016 at 19:31

2 Answers 2

From what I understand, it's all about coordination, either between the players of a team or even between your body parts. In football you want to attack together with your team, so if you're a bit ahead of your allies, you slow down and try to keep the ball to yourself while they're getting closer, and that's when you make a タメ. In golf you want to move your body in a way that maximizes the strength of your hit, and for that you have to start moving your arm slightly later than the rest of your body, so you do a タメ with your arm. Something like that?

Yeah, it means earning enough weight shift to turn into strong rotational motion.
    – user4092
    Mar 22, 2016 at 17:09

ためを作る means "You leave(stop,stay)something at the place for a short time.

For example, 'スイング中ためを作る" means you stay taking a backswing for a short time. ためを作る in soccer means " To wait teammates with staying there and keeping a ball).

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .