I am vainly trying to understand the paragraph below but I am running into some difficulties. In particular, I have a lot of difficulties to figure out exactly what is meant by ダークホース here (there is a comics publisher whose name is Dark Horse but I think it is irrelevant here). The other point is 予測した私は where I am not sure about who estimates what.

The extract:

この小説について
とあるご縁でお会いしたガガガ編集部の面々は、たいへん濃い方々でした。
彼らが求める小説は、きっととんがった内容ばかりになるじゃろう。
と広島弁で予測した私は、あえてひとりだけの作風でダークホースしようとして…
軽く失敗して横道スピンしてできたのがこの小説です。

My attempt at translating it:

About this novel.
A certain acquaintance introduced me to the publishing house GAGAGA, they were so much enthusiastic people. They wanted a story polished to perfection. With a distinct accent from Hiroshima, I explained that I tried at best to write in a unique and pleasant style and sought I might success even if at the beginning anybody has any hopes about my work. I slightly failed and sometimes wandered away from the path but here is the novel I wrote.

Here I translated ダークホース by a periphrase explaining that a “dark horse” may well be a horse that has been overlooked in a horse race but will win anyway. The image hinted by the dark horse may be reused by 横道スピン but I did not include it in the translation.

@chocolate 改訂しました。 – 永劫回帰 Mar 21 '16 at 5:05
up vote 4 down vote accepted

ダークホース itself is a well-known horse racing term, but ダークホースする is not common. Anyway, I guess this ダークホースする means exactly what you suggest ("to succeed although there was no expectation from others").

I think you have gotten some phrases wrong:

• 濃い here is a slang term meaning "unique", "eccentric", "having strong character", etc.
  • とんがった is another casual expression which refers to the opposite of what you think. It's "very unique (although it may be rough around the edges)", "individualistic", "avant-garde", etc.
  • 予測 is "to anticipate", you have to stick to the literal translation.
  • 軽く here is "so easily" with maybe a bit sarcastic nuance. It implies "as a natural consequence", "as everyone could easily expect", etc.
  • 横道スピン is a car racing term, so I don't think it's a reference to ダークホース.

So the author tried to write a novel with a very unique style, thinking that's what the editors were expecting. But he admits he simply failed, and the result was not a unique masterpiece but something only strange.

• Thank you very much for your thorough answer. It really helps me. – 永劫回帰 Mar 21 '16 at 8:02

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.