Maruko stops a friend who is passing by and asks him if he ever receives year-end presents at his house. He replies:

「なんだよ急に、とっぴょうしもねぇこきく奴だなァ」

I am completely stuck on nearly all of this sentence.

1. なんだよ is "what!?" and 急に is "rapidly/abruptly". I assume they go together to make a new meaning other than "What!? Rapidly ...", otherwise there should be some punctuation after なんだよ.

2. This part I'm especially confused about. とっぴ is a na-adjective meaning "erratic". What on earth is the ょうしもねぇ part after it?

3. Is the と in bold the quote particle or part of こと? I feel it's the latter and there's a particle (を) missing.

The sentence gives me the feeling of

"What!? You certainly are a person who abruptly asks random questions".

But I'm not at all confident.

Please can you break down this sentence so I can understand it?

That is 江戸言葉(or 江戸っ子言葉). It means Edo dialect. 「なんですか急に、とんでもないことを聞く人ですね」 – nariuji Mar 20 '16 at 14:44
  • thesaurus.weblio.jp/content/… – nodakai Mar 20 '16 at 20:04

とっぴょうしもない is a fixed expression meaning "outrageous", "crazy" or "absurd". (Tip: When you see something with ねぇ try searching it with ない first.)

With more punctuation and less colloquialisms the sentence is

なんだよ、急に。とっぴょうしもないこと[を]きく奴だね

• なんだよ is a way of voicing a complaint, like "WTF!" (but milder)
  • 急に, like いきなり, means something like "out of the blue"
  • こと nominalizes とっぴょうしもない

I don't know how to translate 奴 idiomatically, but literally it would be something like

lit. Hey! [You're] someone asking absurd things.

Trying to make your "feeling" more literal:

What the...!? You certainly are someone who asks absurd questions.

More colloquially you could go with "WTF!? Are you crazy?", although that's more confrontational than the original.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.