So I need to write an email for an assignment where I am an exchange student who is going to Japan and staying at someone's house for a period of time.

I want to begin with "thank you very much for having me" which would normally be お邪魔します as watching Japanese shows with subtitles have taught me. But I feel like お邪魔します feels more like a short-time thing like "sorry for the (temporary) intrusion" as opposed to something along the lines of what I want to say.

What would be more correct in the context that I am writing in?

• お邪魔します would be appropriate for the moment of entering into the host family's house, regardless it's a short stay or a long term. – nodakai Mar 19 '16 at 18:10

I think お邪魔します is used in cases of short-term stay as you said. 

I think お世話になります is natural in cases of long-term stay.

• Would it be correct to say お世話になることを感謝しています? – Spica Mar 19 '16 at 10:03
  • It's effusive. お世話になります。よろしくお願いします。 is better. – Yuuichi Tam Mar 19 '16 at 10:08
  • In my desperate attempt to use some grammar structures... would お世話になるので、感謝しています be okay or is it also iffy? – Spica Mar 19 '16 at 10:12
    お世話になる include already showing your appreciation, so I hear rarely お世話になるので、感謝しています but if you use them, your appreciation will get through them. – Yuuichi Tam Mar 19 '16 at 10:23
    @Spica 感謝しています almost sounds like someone saved you from a fire or bankruptcy. Perhaps it is more common in business scenes where exaggeration is ubiquitous. – nodakai Mar 19 '16 at 18:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.