I have problem understanding the following scene from a manga (Yotsuba&! vol. 1 pg. 196):

Person A: Oh yeah, what about Yotsubas mother?

Person B: ああ こいつ ひろわれっ子なんで かーちゃんいないんだ

(I put spaces where line breaks are in the manga).

I understand parts of that sentence but can't find what the phrase in the middle of it means ("ひろわれっ子なんで"). As the character for child is the only kanji I have trouble even knowing how many words are in there, and dictionaries aren't of much help. I found a translation of the manga online and they claim it means

Oh, she was an abandoned child so she doesn't have a mom

but when I tried searching "abandon child", It appears the verb "捨てる" is used (like for example here: 彼女は自分の子供たちを捨てた). Could you help me understand what exactly is said in there?

ひろわれっ子 is a variation of ひろわれた子 like 江戸っ子. ひろわれる is a passive form of ひろう and it means " be taken in" and "be picked up".

In fact, she is a child who was abandoned and was taken in(picked up).

"ひろわれっ子 is a sound change of ひろわれた子", I doubt that, do you have any sources? I think it's a variation of ひろわれ子, just like もらいっ子 is a variation of もらい子. – dainichi Mar 19 '16 at 4:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.