I would like to use Kanji for my first name (Winri) when I go to Japan. Is this okay to do? If so, what characters would go into the name?


Of course, you can use Kanji for your first name. I think your first name is ウィンリ written in Japanese so you can use kanji character like ウ, イン, リ.

There are many kanji and you can choose them as you like. I advise you to choose kanji which have good meaning.

How about 宇(ウ)院(イン)理(リ)?

  • Would it be implied to use onyomi, so the Kanji are unlikely to be mispronounced? – user3169 Mar 17 '16 at 3:34
  • Yes, kanji idioms which are read by onyomi are the leading case of the eadings – Yuuichi Tam Mar 17 '16 at 9:01
  • When using kanji for name, can you use also rare or uncommon types of pronounce? – sumitani Mar 20 '16 at 4:24
  • Any time. If you can formally use kanji for name, you can register your kanji name in residence card. – Yuuichi Tam Mar 20 '16 at 7:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.