I sometimes hear 我々{われわれ} and 私{わたし}たち for "we", but am at a loss for understanding when I should use one over the other. Any tips?

• There are 僕たち, 俺たち, 俺ら, うちら, 我ら, and [私]{わたくし}ども as well.
    – nodakai
    Mar 15 '16 at 17:58
  • @nodakai Not to mention 僕ら and あたし達.
    – Angelos
    Mar 17 '16 at 0:43

They are synonymous in meaning.

"我々" is more suitable in settings like political speeches (when referring to a group, including the speaker). It can have a strict and also archaic ring to it.

"私達" can also be read as "わたくしたち", which is highly formal. It might be suitable in a setting like a wedding reception, where you are referring to your spouse and yourself.

from goo辞書

[使い分け]

【1】「私達」は、話し言葉でも書き言葉でも用いる。

【2】「私達」は、「わたしたち」ともいうが、「わたくしたち」の方が、より改まった言い方。

【3】「我々」は、文語的で硬い言い方。

Otherwise, I can say I have heard people at my company use it, when referring to the company as a group, as opposed to an outside group (like a client). In this setting, the people saying it are also usually all men. It might be the preference of some men to avoid the word "私{わたし}" as it can be considered feminine.

我々 is literary and hard word. We don't use it commonly but is sometimes used in oration.

私たち is commonly used.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.