A girl asks her mother why she can't keep a catalogue and is told:

「明日の午後に私もお歳暮を買いに行くから、それの参考にするのっ。」
I'm going to buy the year end presents tomorrow afternoon, so I'll use that (catalogue) as a reference.

How should I parse the part in bold? Why is it not それ参考にするの

I'm familiar with the idea of replacing が with の in relative clauses to move the emphasis away from the thing marked by が. But, the only way I can make a relative clause is if the の at the end of the sentence is something other than the explanatory の, which seems unlikely. What am I failing to understand?

• 参考 is a noun. Is that any help? – Aeon Akechi Mar 13 '16 at 11:26
  • @Nothingatall I thought about that. But if that is the case then why is it それの参考 and not その参考? – user3856370 Mar 13 '16 at 11:29
  • それが参考にする sounds wrong to me; shouldn't it be それ 参考にする? – oals Mar 13 '16 at 14:38
  • @oals I suppose 参考にする does seem like a transitive verb. In which case I'm even more confused, since I've never seen を replaced by の. – user3856370 Mar 13 '16 at 15:06

I think Aは(が)Bを参考にする is translated as A consult(refer to) B like 私はこの本を参考にした( I referred to this book).

I think AはCをBの参考にする is translated as "A refer to C for B" like 私は、この絵を、私の絵の参考にする( I refer to this picture for my picture).

• Thanks. I understand your two examples but I'm struggling to fit my example into the structure you have given. – user3856370 Mar 13 '16 at 15:47
    Do you think your example can change to "私もお歳暮を買いに行くから、そのカタログを、それの参考にするの"? If it can be, it means "I refer to the catalogue for the year end presents.". – Yuuichi Tam Mar 13 '16 at 16:13
  • Now I understand. それ refers to the presents, not the catalogue. That makes sense. Thanks again. – user3856370 Mar 13 '16 at 16:16
  • Yes, If it is それを参考にするの, それ is the catalogue. – Yuuichi Tam Mar 13 '16 at 16:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.