So I am trying to translate the sentence "Are you still waiting for me?" and I have translated it to "僕にとってまだ待っているのか?". Would this be a natural sentence or is it possible to make the sentence shorter?

• シマッタ, I mean 「僕にとってまだ待っているのか」 – user13842 Mar 12 '16 at 13:03
  • Hi! Welcome to JLSE. Please avoid giving your question vague titles. The title should give users an idea of what the question is about before they click it. – Flaw Mar 13 '16 at 3:46
  • "僕にとってまだ待っているのか" is ungrammatical. Note that English "for" cannot always translate into Japanese にとって. "[this is] one giant leap for mankind" can translate into 人類にとっては偉大な飛躍[である]. – nodakai Mar 13 '16 at 10:07

待つ is a transitive verb, meaning that you can use it with an object. を marks objects of action, so it would be correct to say 僕を待つ to mean "wait for me". There are probably a trillion ways to say what you want, but this I think would be the straightforward choice:

まだ僕を待っているのか

You can of course just shorten it to "[are you] still waiting?" まだ待っているのか

• Okay, but did I use にとって in the wrong way? – user13842 Mar 12 '16 at 15:14
  • @user13842 Yes, because にとって is a way to say "regarding X" or "concerning X". Imagine saying "Concerning me, are you still waiting?". It sounds just as weird in Japanese :) And regardless(no pun intended), if you're using a transitive verb you need to properly mark your object. – strawberry jam Mar 12 '16 at 15:24
  • Ah, okay, sorry for the late answer. Thanks for the explanation. – user13842 Mar 12 '16 at 18:36
  • Also, is there any clear difference between について ついて and にっといて? – user13842 Mar 12 '16 at 18:38
    They are clearly different. See this relevant answer: japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/29113/… – strawberry jam Mar 12 '16 at 23:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.