I know that けど is a colloquial form of けれども and that is used to connect two sentences with the meaning of "but, although" but in the following sentence I cannot understand its usage.

僕達のホームにあった”魔石灯”がいい例だけど、”魔石”はヒューマンの技術で加工することで色々な方面―発火装置だとか、食糧を保存する冷凍器とか―に活用できるから、貴重な資源扱いになっている

The following is my translation:

The "magic stone" is used as a valuable resource, because it can be used in different fields, such as in incendiary devices, in the freezers to store the food of first necessity and a good example is the "light at the magic stone" that we had at our home.

In this sentence is it used with a different nuance?

This is an example of another important role of けど, けれど, が, だが, ですが, etc: to provide introductory, background information (前置き) before dealing with the main issue (本題). Any monolingual dictionary explains this usage.

From デジタル大辞泉:

ある事実を前置きとして述べ、本題に結びつける意を表す。「経験から言うんだ―、時間には厳しいほうがいい」「これおもしろい本だ―、君読まないか」

Examples:

• 今日は日曜日だけど、どこに行きたい? It's Sunday, (so) where do you want to go?
  • この前の話だけど、覚えてる? Do you remember it, what we discussed the other day?
  • 去年日本に行ったんだけど、楽しかったよ。 I visited Japan last year, and it was fun.

Some of these can be safely translated using but (eg 失礼ですけど = "Excuse me but ..."). In your case, you can simply translate it as if it were two separate sentences: "... is a good example. The magic stone is used as ..."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.