The title of a story on NHK News Web Easy is

バスの事故{じこ} スピードを上{あ}げながら走{はし}り続{つづ}けた

Which, with my abilities, translates as

Bus accident. As speed increased it kept running?

I don't understand why that か is there at the end of the sentence though. Is the title of the story actually a question? Or does this signify something else? Frankly I'm not even sure my translation is correct. It seems an odd thing to say, since a speed increase would seem to imply that of course the bus kept running. If the bus wasn't running, the speed would go down, generally speaking.

新聞や雑誌の記事の見出しには、「~かもしれない・可能性がある」「~かどうか不明」「~ではないかと疑われている」という意味で、「XXか」と書かれることがよくあります。
    – chocolate
    Mar 11, 2016 at 8:02
  • @choco: そのコメントは私のためにですか?翻訳は時間がかかります。 Mar 11, 2016 at 8:28
  • @choco: I think I got it. In newspaper and magazine headlines, when an event X is uncertain, it will be written as 「Xか」. Thanks. Mar 11, 2016 at 8:41

1 Answer 1

Yes, this か marks a question. An alternative translation might help clarify:

Bus accident: did [the driver / the bus] keep accelerating?

This is clearly the question the police are asking in the article -- the bus was coming down a roughly 1km (probably steep) downhill grade, and at the time of the accident, the bus was moving at 96kph, nearly double to 50kph speed limit.

Translation note: The bit スピードを上げながら走り続けた literally breaks down as "continued running while increasing the speed". This is idiomatic as Japanese, but not as English -- the underlying meaning is continued accelerating, since the driving or running part is clear in the English, and explicitly stating it sounds odd: one cannot make a vehicle accelerate without driving.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .