The title of a story on NHK News Web Easy is

バスの事故{じこ} スピードを上{あ}げながら走{はし}り続{つづ}けた

Which, with my abilities, translates as

Bus accident. As speed increased it kept running?

I don't understand why that か is there at the end of the sentence though. Is the title of the story actually a question? Or does this signify something else? Frankly I'm not even sure my translation is correct. It seems an odd thing to say, since a speed increase would seem to imply that of course the bus kept running. If the bus wasn't running, the speed would go down, generally speaking.

新聞や雑誌の記事の見出しには、「~かもしれない・可能性がある」「~かどうか不明」「~ではないかと疑われている」という意味で、「XXか」と書かれることがよくあります。 – Chocolate Mar 11 '16 at 8:02
  • @choco: そのコメントは私のためにですか?翻訳は時間がかかります。 – Benjamin Lindley Mar 11 '16 at 8:28
  • @choco: I think I got it. In newspaper and magazine headlines, when an event X is uncertain, it will be written as 「Xか」. Thanks. – Benjamin Lindley Mar 11 '16 at 8:41

Yes, this か marks a question. An alternative translation might help clarify:

Bus accident: did [the driver / the bus] keep accelerating?

This is clearly the question the police are asking in the article -- the bus was coming down a roughly 1km (probably steep) downhill grade, and at the time of the accident, the bus was moving at 96kph, nearly double to 50kph speed limit.

Translation note: The bit スピードを上げながら走り続けた literally breaks down as "continued running while increasing the speed". This is idiomatic as Japanese, but not as English -- the underlying meaning is continued accelerating, since the driving or running part is clear in the English, and explicitly stating it sounds odd: one cannot make a vehicle accelerate without driving.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.