I have problems with two grammar constructions that I don't know.
The first is ほどしかない and the following is the sentence:

手の爪ほどしかない小ささで、僕が確かめた限り、1〜4階層のモンスターから出てくるのはみんなこんなものだ

It is not larger nail of one hand and as far as I have verified the same, are all this as those that come out from 1 to 4 classes of monsters.

“ほどしかない小ささ” does it mean “as small as”?

The second grammar construction is 行かないといけないから and the following is the sentence:

最初に仕留めた二匹のところにも行かないといけないから、呆けている時間はないんだった

I first had to go where there were two killed and I was completely absorbed by it, because there was no time

Does this grammar construction “行かないといけないから” mean “must go?”

• “行かないといけないから” means "because (somebody) must go". "から" means "because". – Zen Mar 10 '16 at 16:06

手の爪ほどしかない小ささで、僕が確かめた限り、1〜4階層のモンスターから出てくるのはみんなこんなものだ。
It's just about the size of a fingernail, and as far as I have checked, the ones (items?) that come from the monsters in Layers 1–4 are all like this.

• ~ほど: about ~
  • ~しかない: only, as small as

A more literal translation of 手の爪ほどしかない would be "only about the size of a fingernail", but "as small as a fingernail" is perhaps fine, too.

最初に仕留めた二匹のところにも行かないといけないから、呆けている時間はないんだった。
I have to go to the place of the two (monsters(?)) I hunted first, so there is no time to idle.

You seem to be having trouble with the basic usage of ~から. AだからB means "B because A" or "A, therefore/so B."

行かないといけない means, yes, "have to go," and it's a very common pattern. See this question.

And this た at the end of the sentence does not represent past tense, but indicates he has just realized the fact ("there is no time"). (See ④ in this article)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.