This question already has an answer here:

I found this sentence in a workbook:

それとこれは別でしょう。

My translation of this sentence is:

As for that and this, they are different.

What is the significance of the second と? How is the sentence translated with it?

marked as duplicate by broccoli forest, Dono, macraf, user3856370, Blavius Mar 9 '16 at 20:27

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

• I'm not quite sure it's a duplicate. It might just be that the asker doesn't know that 別 takes と – oals Mar 9 '16 at 8:04
  • @oals but 別 doesn't take と... (それとこれは別でしょう would be perfectly fine!) – broccoli forest Mar 9 '16 at 8:25
    @broccoliforest Could それとこれとは別 mean "[this other thing] is different from that and that [two things]"? – Earthliŋ Mar 9 '16 at 8:31
  • @Earthliŋ Oh, that's possible (but practically we say それ(とか/や)これ(とか)とは別 in that situation). – broccoli forest Mar 9 '16 at 8:36

Originally, と was used after each word in a list. From here:

いくつかの事柄を列挙する意を表す。「君―ぼく―の仲」
[補説] 並立する語ごとに「と」を用いるのが本来の用法であるが、現代語ではいちばんあとにくる「と」を省略するのが普通となっている。

The last と in a list is usually omitted at least in modern Japanese. In this sentence, you can safely omit the second と, but explicitly putting the second と emphasizes that these two (それ and これ) are contrasted. AとBと is still common in formal or complex sentences.

See: 「X」と「Y」と - how does the second と affect the sentence?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.