I want to say "I had a fight with my girlfriend. Now we are angry with each other". I know how to say "to fight with someone" but it seems to have violent connotations. What is the verb to express oral arguments? Also is there a japanese equilvalent for "being angry with each other"?

  • 2
    We usually require prior research to be posted as part of the question. What did you find when you tried to look this up yourself (and why didn't a dictionary look-up answer your question)? Once you edit your question, it will automatically be considered for reopening.
    – Earthliŋ
    Mar 4 '16 at 12:59
  • @Earthliŋ The OP says they know how to say "to fight with someone". It seems they've done enough research. Putting a hold on the question just seems unfriendly.
    – A.Ellett
    Mar 4 '16 at 15:40
  • @A.Ellett Oh, I didn't mean to come across as unfriendly. Usually, giving an own attempt helps potential answerers assess the level of Japanese. The OP also gets feedback as to how good their translation attempt was. Anyway, I'll reopen it for now.
    – Earthliŋ
    Mar 4 '16 at 16:15
  • 4
    It would definitely be helpful to know the OP's current state of knowledge, though. For example, how does the OP know how to express 'to fight with someone' right now? There are multiple ways to express that in Japanese. An answer might say "Actually, that expression works for verbal altercations just as well", but they can't build on the OP's knowledge if we don't know what the OP's knowledge is.
    – user1478
    Mar 4 '16 at 19:37
  • 2
    In other words, we don't make people share their research effort because we want them to jump through hoops. It's not to be unfriendly, either. It's just because if we know the OP's current state of knowledge, we can provide better, more specific answers. That's why it'd be helpful for the OP to edit their post and tell us what they know.
    – user1478
    Mar 4 '16 at 19:37

Oral arguments is translated as "口論" and "口喧嘩", so "I had a fight with my girlfriend." can be translated as "彼女と口論(or 口喧嘩)した。"

"We are angry with each other." is translated as "私たちは、お互いに怒っている" and "私たちは、お互いに腹を立てている".

  • Perhaps you can explain to the OP how they might have been able to find these answers in a dictionary look up. As a non-native speaker of Japanese, it took me a long time to learn how to find adequate words to express my self in Japanese. I would know the word I wanted to use in English, but my dictionaries only seemed to provide translations for different connotations of the word. After a while, I learned to start thinking of different ways of expressing myself in English to figure out better how to express myself in Japanese.
    – A.Ellett
    Mar 5 '16 at 16:11
  • These sorts of tricks are generally not necessary in English to German or French etc because these languages are so closely related. If Japanese if the OP's first language, the OP may be very literal minded when looking up words.
    – A.Ellett
    Mar 5 '16 at 16:12
  • The different between Japanese and English may be bigger than other languages but I think they are interesting for the reason. Mar 6 '16 at 4:32
  • @A.Ellett Thank you for your suggestion, as you are saying I had trouble finding this phrase in a dictionary, that is why I asked if there is a direct equivalent, as I was aware there might be some phrase with similar meaning, but which I couldn't find.
    – Tribski
    Mar 6 '16 at 13:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.