A letter from a story, where a character (又八) elopes with a woman (お甲), with both writing a letter each to the man's betrothed (お通, who 又八 abandoned with said woman) (お甲's letter quoted full, for context):

べつの文、ご覧なされ候わば、多言には及ぶまじと思われ候えど、証のため、私よりも認めまいらせ候。又八どの、此度、御縁の候て、当方の養子にもらいうけ候に就いては、おん前様のこと、懸念のようにみえ候まま、左候ては、ゆく末、双方の不為故、事理おあかし申し候て、おもらい申候。何とぞ、以後は又八どのの事、御わすれくだされたく先は斯ように迄、一筆しめし参らせ申そろ。かしこ。お甲。お通さま

My rough 'understanding' of part I'm struggling with):

…懸念しているようだから、そうして、ゆく末(消息)、双方(あなたと又八)の不為ゆえ(の為にならないから)、(又八には)その理由を彼の手紙に明らかにしてもらって、??(あなたにはその手紙をうけてもらった?)

Does 不為故 imply 消息を明かさないと損になる? I.e. not giving reason would be bad for both, or have I misunderstood? Is 申す here used in polite sense to describe the actions of man/his betrothed?

Story link

It's not broken, but a standard style for any kind of letters mainly used until Meiji era (候文).

おん前様のこと、懸念のようにみえ候まま、左候ては、ゆく末、双方の不為故、事理おあかし申し候て、おもらい申候。

is in present-day Japanese:

あなた様のことを気にかけているようにみえますので、こうですと今後お互いのためになりませんから、事情をお明かしいたしまして、(又八を)おもらいいたします。

The long-trailing sentence isn't a bad style but is also a characteristic of pre-Meiji writing style, where a sentence could continue as long as a paragraph.

不為 is saying that it'll cause harm if the relationship between 又八 and お通 remains unsettled.

Notes:

• 申す is a common 謙譲語 in this style that corresponds to today's いたす.
  • 候 is, likewise, a 丁寧語 that is today's (であり)ます.
  • 左【さ】's kanji is ateji, the word is not "left" but "so". 左候 means こうです "it is so".
  • まま」にこんな意味もあったんですね… – naruto Feb 29 '16 at 13:37
  • @naruto OPさんは正しく訳してたので説明しませんでしたが、辞書にはちゃんと載ってるはずです – broccoli forest Feb 29 '16 at 13:40

I may be wrong, but here's my understanding:

• 左候ては、 = このようでは/これでは if this continues, if that is the case (ては = conditional)
  • ゆく末、 = 将来 in the future
  • 双方の不為故、 = お互いのためになりませんので there will be no benefit to either of us, therefore ...
  • 事理おあかし申し候て、おもらい申候。 = 事情を明らかにさせていただきます。 let me take the liberty of clarifying our situation.

EDIT: So I felt that 「事理おあかし申し候て、おもらい申候」 part was no more than a roundabout and redundant humble expression. A more 'literal' translation would be... maybe 「事情を明らかにさせてもらわせられ申し上げます」 or something like that. Honestly, I have no idea if the original sentence is broken or not as a traditional 候文.

EDIT 2: See broccoli forest's answer for the last part (interpretation of おもらい申候).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.