I was wondering if the following two sentences have the same meaning. I'm seeing both をほしい and がほしい on my Anki deck and I was just wondering if they were interchangeable or if I just made a mistake when I was adding them in.

トムさんはともだちほしがっています。

トムさんはともだちほしがっています。

Thank you everyone!

欲しい is an adjective, "を + adjective" is not common, "が + adjective" is common, so が欲しい is common.

欲しがる is a verb and mainly used as a transitive verb, so を is usually placed before 欲しがる.

Grammaticaly speaking, を is the right choice here because of がる being attached to ほしい. If ほしい is alone, then が is the right choice. But you may find both, still, がほしい is way more common than をほしい and をほしがっている is more frequent that がほしがっている.

• So it's like this 〜がほしい and 〜をほしがる? – John Feb 28 '16 at 5:43
  • Yes, that is it. – 永劫回帰 Feb 28 '16 at 5:56

Case 1:

When the speaker itself is the subject:

• (私は、)新しい車がほしい。I want a new car.
  • (私は、)あなたに一万円を(私に)貸してほしい。I want you to lend ten thousands yen (to me).

Case 2:

When the speaker wants to say that someone (third person) wants something or wants to do something:

• 彼は新しい車をほしがっている。He wants a new car.
  • 彼はあなたに一万円を(彼に)貸してほしがっている。He wants you to lend ten thousands yen (to him).

Case 3:

When the speaker wants to ask someone (second person):

• 新しい車がほしいですか。 Do you want a new car?

• 一万円を貸してほしいですか。Do you want me to lend ten thousands yen?

• Would it be safe to assume that ほしがる is always paired with ? – John Feb 28 '16 at 5:46
  • And objectがほしい is always with and を〜て form+ほしい is always with . – John Feb 28 '16 at 5:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.