Is it まだ慣れてる?

慣れてる means "to be used to something" but if I add まだ does this make clear that I mean "am still getting used to" a new job, a new country, etc, as a process ongoing now. I know that Japanese doesn't have the same sense of present progressive as English so maybe this is not something Japanese people would normally say?

The most common and natural-sounding way to say that would be:

「~~に[慣]{な}れてきている」 using 「くる」 as a subsidiary verb.

Also common would be:

「~~に慣れ[始]{はじ}めたところです」

We do not say 「まだ慣れてる」 to mean anything. It just makes no sense, sorry to say.

We, however, say 「まだ慣れていない」 in the negative form to mean "to be not used to ~~ yet".

• Don't understand your notation for 「に慣れ[始]{はじ}めたところです。」 does [] just mark kanji? So Xに慣れ始めたところです means "I just started getting used to doing X" – Paul Cunningham Feb 28 '16 at 3:50
  • Also, 慣れてきた means "I got used to" and 慣れてきます means "getting used to" or "will get used to" is it correct? – Paul Cunningham Feb 28 '16 at 4:01
  • @PaulCunningham Aren't you looking at this page with mobile app? We have furigana feature but they don't work on the official app. Try to open it in your browser. – broccoli forest Feb 28 '16 at 6:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.