I was trying to understand some news on the NHK site, but I am having a little trouble with this sentence:

一方、幅広い作品を集めたパノラマ部門では、東日本大震災後の福島県を舞台にしたドイツ人監督の映画で、俳優の桃井かおりさんが出演した「フクシマ・モナムール」が、国際芸術映画評論連盟賞など2つの賞を受賞し、高い評価を受けていました。

The 幅広い作品 here would refer to a general category or would it be a category with a large number of works?

PS: It's about the Berlin International Film Festival

Source:http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20160221/k10010416661000.html

According to a J-J dictionary 幅広い both means "wide (physically)" and "various", but IMHO 幅広い almost always means "wide range of", "a variety of" in modern Japanese. See ALC's entry to see how this word is used in in reality.

A relative clause 幅が広い or 幅の広い usually (but not always) means physically wide (eg, 幅の広い道). A relatively uncommon no-adjective 幅広の also refers to physical width (eg. 幅広の道). But 幅広い道 sounds a bit unnatural (or uncommon at least) to me, even though it's in the dictionary.

幅{はば}広{ひろ}い can often be understood as "wide-ranging, a wide range of". So in the sample above, the パノラマ部門 has collected a wide range of works -- i.e. a large variety, many different kinds.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.