In a game I am playing, I ran across the sentence,

"ひらりと白い[欠片]{かけら}がひとひら、舞い込んできた。"

It appears that both 欠片 and ひとひら are nouns. After this, there is no particle before the verb. What type of grammar structure is this?
I found a translation online that suggests that this line means "Nimbly a white fragment like a petal floated down," which makes sense, but I am not sure how the sentence means this.

ひとひら is not a noun, but a number ([1]{ひと}) and a counter for a thin and flat object like a petal ([片]{ひら} or [枚]{ひら}, usually written in kana). Thus, that sentence has the same structure as 男が[1人]{ひとり}入ってきた, 髪が[10本]{じゅっぽん}抜けた, or ケーキが[2]{ふた}つある.

• In addition, this is grammarwise called adverbial usage in numeral. – Yuuichi Tam Feb 22 '16 at 4:42
  • Thank you. I had a feeling I was missing something when reading the text. It's funny that it was so simple. I guess I need to study counters more. I feel like the translation I found on the internet might be part of why I was confused (they put "like a petal" and ひとひら can apparently mean petal). – user7432 Feb 22 '16 at 5:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.