• 高{たか}い値段{ねだん}レストラン
  • 値段{ねだん}が高{たか}いレストラン

In other words, what is the difference between:

• adjective-noun
  • noun-が-adjective

Another example would be this:

• ボブは魚{さかな}が好き{すき}だ
  • ボブは好き{すき}魚{さかな}だ

I was reading http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/adjectives which uses the first form in these examples, but it also says you can modify a noun just by placing an i-adjective before it, and Google Translate gives me the same translations for both forms.

What's the difference... One phrase is plainly wrong, the other is correct. – macraf Feb 22 '16 at 2:15
  • I chuckled when I read your second example: the latter half isn't grammatical, but it almost says "Bob is a liked fish (i.e. a fish that I like)." :) – Eiríkr Útlendi Feb 22 '16 at 2:29
    Lol, well I'm just starting out with grammar, so my made-up examples probably don't make sense, I'm just wondering why this is so. – Asik Feb 22 '16 at 2:38
    「値段が高い」 in 「値段が高いレストラン」 is a relative clause, no? Literally... "restaurant whose price is high" – Chocolate Feb 22 '16 at 9:14
  • I'm not entirely sure of the scope of your question, so let us know if Yuuichi's and my answers don't fully address what you're asking. – Eiríkr Útlendi Mar 23 '16 at 17:16

To expand upon Yuuichi's answer, the difference is one of nuance and emphasis, and of the grammatical requirements of the construction, much as in English.

• 赤{あか}い車{くるま}​で行{い}きます。
    We will go in a red car.
  • 行{い}く車{くるま}​は赤{あか}いです。
    The car that we will go in is red.

Japanese is a bit more flexible than English when it comes to what terms are allowed to directly modify other terms. We can say 行{い}く車{くるま} in Japanese (literally "goes car", or depending on context, "will be going car"), but in English, relative clauses modifying nouns like this require grammatical words to tie things together: "the car that goes".

Adjective-Noun is a noun phrase like 高い値段、好きな魚.

Noun-が-Adjective is a sentence or modifies noun like 魚が好きだ, 値段が高いレストラン.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.