When I am downloading something, this comes up. I guess it would mean that the download is in progress or something but it seems a little unexpected to have that there. Is it something that you'd say out loud for something else that is progressing or would it be exclusively for digital progressions?

I would write an answer, but now I'm 食事中, so you have to check the dictionary. – macraf Feb 20 '16 at 9:44
    omg guys you don't need to be mean, I have of course looked in a dictionary. I just expected that there would be some kind of other element to it and not just attaching it to the end of something. It's mainly a question about the grammatical usage of 中 in this situation and how it could be used in other similar things and I guess I get the idea now thanks to the first comment. – user13622 Feb 20 '16 at 9:52
    @Earthliŋ I also found this question: japanese.stackexchange.com/q/5369/1478 Maybe either 5369 or 2790 should be closed as a duplicate of the other? – snailcar Feb 20 '16 at 11:22
    @user13622 You're right, my tone was out-of-place, especially for a "first post". For this question (or for next time), if you looked in a dictionary or did anything else, please do include what you found in your question. We do get a lot of requests like "what does this mean [Japanese sentence]" from people that haven't looked in a dictionary, even from people that don't speak any Japanese... – Earthliŋ Feb 20 '16 at 11:27
    I understand! Thank-you, I'll explain my next question better – user13622 Feb 20 '16 at 11:28

The kanji 中 on the end as a kind of suffix generally has two different meanings, depending on context and how it's read.

• When read as ちゅう: "in the middle of doing; in the state of being", as in l'électeur's examples.
  • When read as じゅう: "all over, throughout; sometime during", as in 体{からだ}中{じゅう} "all over the body, all throughout the body" or 今日{きょう}中{じゅう} "sometime during today".

「~~[中]{ちゅう}」 = "~~ in progress", "~~ in session", "in the middle of ~~", etc.

"We Are Open!"

enter image description here

"Under Construction"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.