I know how to say something when both adjectives are the same tense, such as:

あの 人 は かわいくて ちいさい です。 That person is cute and small.

However, how would you say something like, "That person is cute and not small"? Would it be:

あの 人 は かわいくて ちいさくない です。

Is this even possible, or would you have to split the sentence up so that the tenses match?

Please write answers in hiragana or romaji, please! I am still an elementary Japanese learner.

• Typically, using spaces, the sentence would look like this: あの人は かわいくて ちいさいです. – Aeon Akechi Feb 19 '16 at 21:57
  • I think your 2nd sentence could be confusing, just as saying "That person is not short and cute." Is s/he cute or not? I'd think that ちいさくなくてかわいい would be clearer. Just as "cute but not short" makes it clearer what's being negated. – A.Ellett Feb 19 '16 at 22:04
    Just for the sake of clarity, you're not asking about tenses, you're asking about positives vs. negatives. – Kurausukun Feb 19 '16 at 23:06

あの人は かわいくて ちいさくない です。

As far as grammar goes, this sentence is already fine. It literally means "That person is cute and not small."

However, this sentence looks a bit odd to me, because people don't often associate cute things with large things. On the other hand, "ちいさくて かわいい (cute little)" is used almost as a set phrase, far more often than "おおきくて かわいい".

So I would say this sentence would look more natural and clear if you say:

• あの人は かわいいけれど ちいさくない です。 That person is cute but is not small.
  • あの人は ちいさくないけれど かわいい です。 That person is not small but is cute.

Compare:

• あの人は かわいくも ちいさくも ない です。 That person is neither cute nor small.
  • あの人は かわいかったり ちいさかったり しません。 That person is neither cute nor small.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.