I'm reading a book that contains this sentence:

携帯やパソコンでのメール等{とう}のやり取りすらしていない・・・

My first instinct is to read 等 as など, but it has explicitly been given the pronunciation とう via the ruby characters in the text. Of course, とう is a valid reading for 等, but usually only in compound words. Is this a typo, or am I missing some hidden meaning?

This context perfectly fits with the following dictionary definition (デジタル大辞泉), hence my inclination to read it as など:

など【▽等/×抔 】

1 一例を挙げ、あるいは、いくつか並べたものを総括して示し、それに限らず、ほかにも同種類のものがあるという意を表す。…なんか。「赤や黄―の落ち葉」

Both readings are valid in this sentence, and they're semantically the same. But とう sounds much more formal.

FWIW, 常用漢字表 only gives the readings of とう and ひと-しい for this kanji. など is widely used, but it's a kind of customary reading.

Thanks. I have never heard the とう reading in "real world" Japanese, but in this book, the character who speaks the line has a sort of odd way of speaking, so perhaps that's why he chooses the more formal reading. – TheSleeve Feb 18 '16 at 22:15
  • @TheSleeve What do you mean, an odd way of speaking? Could you give examples? – Aeon Akechi Feb 18 '16 at 23:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.