How to say that I (or someone else) wants to do something less (for example I want to sleep less) in Japanese? What about I want to have less of something? (For example I want to eat less, or I want to have fewer problems.)

It really depends on what you're trying to say. (Heck, even English changes the words depending on the construction: less vs. fewer.) Is there something specific you're trying to say? – Eiríkr Útlendi Feb 17 '16 at 20:15
  • @EiríkrÚtlendi I was trying to say "I want to have less/fewer problems", but choco provided me with an answer already – Tribski Feb 19 '16 at 16:35
  • Sometimes in this situation I would use 控える。But I'm not sure if 控えたい is natural. – Chris Feb 23 '16 at 22:50
    @Chris I think 食べる量を控えたい sounds natural. (睡眠時間を控えたい doesn't sound natural, and 問題を控えたい would make no sense, though.) – Chocolate Nov 23 '16 at 5:25

Literal translations such as 「(もっと/より)少なく + verb + したい」 would sound unnatural... There would be several ways to say that, but off the top of my head right now, I think you could probably use 「~を少なくしたい」 or 「~を減らしたい」, as in:

睡眠時間/寝る時間を減らしたい。
睡眠時間/寝る時間を少なくしたい。
I want to sleep less. (lit. I want to decrease sleeping time.)

食べる量を減らしたい。
食べる量を少なくしたい。
I want to eat less. (lit. I want to decrease eating amount.)

問題を減らしたい。
問題を少なくしたい。
I want to have fewer problems. (lit. I want to decrease problems.)

less is a powerful English word which doesn't have a direct equivalent in Japanese for all cases. It depends on the action you're talking about. For sleep, you could say:

[毎日]{まいにち}もっと[短]{みじ}かく[寝]{ね}たいな。

Gloss: Every day - more - shortly - want to sleep - eh

TL: "Man, I wish I could sleep less every day."

Here we see "more + adverb" that fits the verb (referring to time here).

Another way to get around this is to say something grammatically different but functionally the same (re: to have less of something):

服をちょっと[減]{へ}らした[方]{ほう}がいいんだな

Gloss: Clothing - a little - ought to reduce - eh

TL: I should really get rid of some of this clothing. (while inspecting one's overflowing closet, for instance)

No native speakers would say 「毎日もっと短く寝たいな。」. That just sounds SO unnatural (and 'translated'). – l'électeur Feb 18 '16 at 9:07
  • I disagree. Can you offer an alternative? – Colin Woodbury Feb 18 '16 at 15:43
    ^「毎日の睡眠時間を / 寝る時間をもっと短くしたいな。」とかならいいかな、と思います・・・ – Chocolate Feb 18 '16 at 16:51
  • ん、納得。Keep in mind the above example was to demonstrate grammar, not demonstrate what is natural. Notice neither my nor your example use a word directly mappable to less ;) – Colin Woodbury Feb 19 '16 at 17:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.