Wiktionary says that's in Japanese kanji "愛" means "love" and "affection" however after checking on a Translator in no case does "愛" mean "affection". Supposedly 愛情 is "affection", the only difference being "情" added on the end. After realizing this I decided to check what "情" meant but I then found out that it also means affection. How can a word have more than 1 kanji and how can a kanji share words. Also what is the correct kanji for "Affection"?

愛 is the "concept" of love. 愛情 is the physical emotion that humans feel. 「情」 be can added to other things in a similar way:

[感情]{かんじょう} Emotion(s)

[友情]{ゆうじょう} Friendship

[情熱]{じょうねつ} Passion (lit. "emotional heat")

(彼は)[情]{じょう}がない (He has) no compassion/sympathy for others.

See a pattern?

The broader issue for you here (which I've seen from some of your other posts as well) is that it seems you want a clean one-to-one mapping between English words and Japanese words/Kanji. It's very natural to want this, and we all feel your pain. Unfortunately that's not the way it works.

Words are just labels for ideas/concepts we have in our heads. Some words point to the same ideas, some single words point to multiple ideas. Sometimes we don't have a label for a concept that exists in another culture, and vise versa. It's something like this:

enter image description here

This is just how languages work. For now, just keep learning, and keep asking questions.

• Thank you for the help and I understand what you are saying because English is the only language I know and I am very new to learning any others, also I see from what you wrote before that "情" always means "じょう" , at least I think thats the case or does "情" have other meanings? – Sam Feb 16 '16 at 21:23
  • Remember the difference between "meaning" and "reading". 情 is read as じょう, and its meaning has to do with emotions. じょう is the most common reading of that Kanji, and it's the only one you need to worry about right now. – Colin Woodbury Feb 16 '16 at 21:29
  • but 情 is always "read" as じょう and always means something emotiomal? – Sam Feb 16 '16 at 21:32
  • Yeah, see my edit. You're safe to assume that. – Colin Woodbury Feb 16 '16 at 21:33
  • Did you forget to post your edit? – snailcar Feb 17 '16 at 10:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.