Also can you explain what each kanji character means?

The kanji 氣 is an old alternative form of 気. You may see this kanji in calligraphy arts, historical documents and such, but in modern usage this word is always 元気.

• Thank you very much, I had no idea I was looking at such an old character.
    – Sam
    Feb 14 '16 at 20:59
    @Sam It's not -that- old, it was official until 1946.
    – Sjiveru
    Feb 15 '16 at 0:10

Modern Chinese differentiates between Traditional (Taiwan, Hong Kong, etc) and Simplified characters (mainland). One might assume that Japanese Kanji and Traditional Chinese are the same thing; not so. The Japanese have made a number of their own simplifications. Here are a few examples of Kanji that are considered "archaic" by Japanese standards, but are the everyday form used in Traditional:

[氣]{hei3}→[気]{き}

[學]{hok6}→[学]{がく}

[貓]{maau1}→[猫]{びょう} (previously みょう, previously めう)

[國]{gwok3}→[国]{こく}

For instance, the word for weather in Cantonese is [天氣]{tin1 hei3}. Look familiar? :)

Citation needed: "Many Japanese speakers think that Japanese Kanji and Traditional Chinese are the same thing; " I think you'd be hard pressed to find a native speaker or advanced learner suffering under the belief that contemporary Japanese characters are the same as traditional Chinese characters.
    – virmaior
    Feb 14 '16 at 22:20
    Many non-Japanese/Chinese speakers think that Japanese Kanji and Traditional Chinese are the same thing の間違いじゃないのw
    – Chocolate
    Feb 15 '16 at 7:42
  • Redacted. I didn't like the line of first writing either. Feb 15 '16 at 14:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.