According to jisho.org, グローブ seems to have a "sports" nuance to it, wherease 手袋{てぶくろ} seems to be more general. Is this accurate?

Exactly. See how different they are. (Sorry for oversized image.)

enter image description here

We imagine 手袋 as a kind of clothes for everyday life and work, and グローブ as a sports gear. Of course, more accurate transcription of glove is グラブ, which is preferred by baseball players.

Some Japanese traditional sports have gloves that are never called グローブ. For example, in 剣道【けんどう】 they use 小手【こて】(籠手) (but technically because it's rather like cloth gauntlet).

Don't forget bike gloves as well; I suppose they're sports-like although used for everyday life. – syockit Feb 13 '16 at 9:08
  • @syockit Good point. Gloves for boxing or serious bike/motorcycle riding equally deserve to be グローブ. I wear mittens with fingers during winter riding, and I think they're 手袋. – broccoli facemask Feb 13 '16 at 10:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.