Here's the sentence:

「だから昨日も言ったろ、ボクもキミも怒られるタイプなんだって。」

だから as 'therefore' doesn't really work here so I'm going for "that's why". However, I think 言ったろ means "did I not say". Putting it together I get

That's why, did I not say yesterday that both you and me are the type who get told off.

But to make that work in English I need the comma or a pause for thought after "that's why" otherwise I get something non-grammatical.

Is the sentence grammatical in Japanese or is a pause needed like my English translation, or is my translation just wrong? Is there a better way to think about だから and 言ったろ?

「だから言っただろ、~~って。」「だから言ったでしょう、~~って。」などは、よく "See, I told you so." という感じで使います。別に "gives a strong feeling that the speaker is annoyed" という感じじゃなく、もっと気軽な(または優しい)感じで使えます。
    – chocolate
    Feb 26, 2016 at 7:57
  • @choco Thanks. If you put that in an answer then I'll move the tick. Feb 26, 2016 at 16:58

2 Answers 2

だから is sometimes used at the beginning of a sentence when the speaker is trying to emphasize something already said. I've heard it said to me in this usage as "だ〜か〜ら〜". I think you could translate this usage as "Like I said..."

To me, here the combination of だから plus 言ったろ(言っただろう) gives a strong feeling that the speaker is annoyed with the other person.

“だから言ったじゃないの” is a popular phrase among today’s elderlies as it became a hit song with the same title, followed by “男の言葉に騙されて - (You are too stupid) to be cheated by a man's sweet talk,” which was sung by Keiko Matsuyama, and released in 1958.

In this case, だから does not necessarily mean “because” and “that why” as a conjunctive.

As @Choco advised, “だから” here works as the emphasis of the ensuing statement, “ボクもキミも怒られるタイプなんだって.”

I would translate the quote as: “Remember, I told you yesterday that both of us are the type of getting easily scolded .” “Well (you see), I told you yesterday that both of us are the type of always being reprimanded.”

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .