When conjugating yaru to yarimasu, does it become やあります or やります?

What does "conjugating yaru to arimasu" mean? – snailcar Feb 5 '16 at 2:28
    I think you may have made a fundamental misunderstanding here. Can you explain your understanding of the difference between ある and あります? – Sjiveru Feb 5 '16 at 3:05

Grammatically speaking, やあります is just plain wrong. It never conjugates to やあります.

Such a spelling may be used when someone said やります with a strange intonation (like "I wiiil dooo it"), but it should be rare.

I'm going to assume you mean yarimasu instead of arimasu. Arimasu comes from aru (to be). ある -> あり -> あります

やる yaru conjugates to やります yarimasu.

やあります in romaji is yaarimasu, which would be stretching the "a" sound for no reason.

Masu-form conjugation simply involves changing the u hiragana to its i counterpart and then adding masu for godan verbs (yaru -> yari -> yarimasu), or dropping the ru and then adding masu for for ichidan verbs (taberu -> tabe -> tabemasu). The irregular verbs, suru and kuru turn to shimasu and kimasu.

Godan verb examples:

いく to go -> いき -> いきます, not いいきます

かう to buy -> かい -> かいます, not かあいます

まつ* to wait -> まち -> まちます, not まあちます. Note that つ changes to ち since they are in the same row of the hiragana table.

よむ to read -> よみ -> よみます, not よおみます

さす* to hold up (eg. an umbrella) -> さし -> さします, not さあします. Note that す changes to し since they are in the same row of the hiragana table.

Ichidan verb examples:

みる to see -> み -> みます, not みいます

ねる to sleep -> ね -> ねます, not ねえます

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.